Imagine your family heading to Disney World, excited to have the time of your lives, only to find out some of your most anticipated rides are closed – that would be an absolute disappointment during what could be an otherwise perfect vacation. We know that with Disney Vacation packages, it is thrilling to think about all of the attractions, food, and accommodations you can experience, and it goes without saying that the rides at Disney World play a huge part for any park-goer.
In this article, we’ll dive into the rides that are currently closed at Disney World as of early October 2022, as well as any news on their reopenings.
Reasons for Closure
Rides are usually closed for one of these four reasons:
- Discontinued: Sometimes, Disney management decides that it’s time to replace a ride or attraction. With Disney, this can only mean something bigger and better is coming.
- Temporarily closed for maintenance: Disney wants to ensure the safety of their guests. Having to temporarily close an attraction is necessary from time to time to make sure everything is functional and safe.
- Closed indefinitely: A ride could be closed with no certainty as to exactly when its operation will resume.
- Seasonal closures: Some rides are best enjoyed during certain times of the year and in the right weather. Disney closes some attractions that are not ideal during harsh weather conditions or are not needed during less crowded times.
Rides And Statuses
It’s no secret that Disney had to close some rides and services to adhere to social distancing protocols due to the pandemic. Vacation goers still want to know when certain rides will reopen, just like they wonder when the Disney Dining Plan will return. No matter the reason, we know that Disney always keeps the safety and welfare of its patrons in the forefront of all they do.
Here is the list of closed rides and their current status:
- Epcot Experience: This was part of The Epcot Park–the Epcot Experience is closed permanently.
- Primeval Whirl: This was part of Disney’s Animal Kingdom–Primeval Whirl is closed permanently and has been demolished. Based on chatter at the D23 Expo, other parts of Dinoland U.S.A. are likely to follow.
To Be Closed:
- Splash Mountain: This attraction will soon be permanently closed to make way for the much-anticipated Tiana’s Bayou Adventure (which is set to open in late 2024). An exact closing date has not been announced.
- Enchanted Tales with Belle: One of the favorites in the Magic Kingdom, Enchanted Tales with Belle has been closed with the expectation of reopening. As of July 2022, the target date for relaunch has yet to be announced.
- Fantasmic: One of the best activities in Hollywood Studios, Fantasmic has been temporarily closed with an exact relaunch date yet to be announced. Cast rehearsals have already begun, so we don’t expect it to take long!
- Jedi Training Academy: Trials of the Temple: Another favorite in Disney’s Hollywood Studios, the popular attraction was closed in March 2020. Its reopening is still to be announced.
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid: The popular attraction in Disney’s Hollywood Studios remains closed and has even been removed from the Disney World website; we’d be surprised if it returns.
- Walt Disney World Railroad: The Walt Disney World Railroad has been closed as construction for Tron Lightcycle Run got under way. However, it is expected to reopen soon.
- Blizzard Beach Water Park: Blizzard Beach Water park was closed January 1st, 2022, and its usual yearly refurbishment has gone on much longer than usual with some apparent major upgrades happening. We’re still awaiting an official reopening announcement.
Seasonal or Event Closures:
- Canada Far & Wide in CircleVision 360: This favorite has only been closed temporarily to give way to Disney’s Epcot International Food and Wine Festival. It is slated to reopen in late November 2022.
No one wants to go to Disney World only to find out their favorite rides are closed, so it is best to check the Disney website or app for a more updated and comprehensive list. This will help you know exactly what the closures are before planning your trip so that your touring plans for Disney World are not affected.
Nevertheless, with all the upcoming new rides and attractions, there is still plenty to enjoy at Disney World, and MagicGuides will keep you updated on the latest news!
One of the best ways to keep track of what’s happening in advance of your Disney vacation is to enlist the help of a Disney planning expert. Contact The Vacationeer for free help booking and planning your trip — they’ll answer all your questions and will keep an eye out for discounts to apply to your stay (even after you’ve booked)! Get a free, no-obligation quote for your Disney World vacation today!