A Month-by-Month Guide to Visiting Disneyland in 2024
Here’s a 2024 breakdown of Disneyland crowds and seasonal events to help you plan your trip.
- Crowds: Lighter, but New Year’s Day and MLK Day (coinciding with runDisney events) see a spike.
- Events: Lunar New Year Festival, featuring Mulan, Asian cuisine, and live performances.
- Crowds: Valentine’s Day and President’s Day draw crowds, but the rest of the month is quieter.
- Crowds: Spring break influx; aim for after the first week for fewer crowds.
- Events: Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival kicks off with special menus and culinary showcases.
- Crowds: Generally mild, with an uptick around Easter.
- Events: Food & Wine Festival continues.
- Crowds: Memorial Day weekend is busy; post-holiday sees fewer crowds.
- Crowds: A surge due to summer vacations.
- Events: Summertime fireworks and seasonal foods.
- Crowds: Peak summer crowds, especially around the Fourth of July.
- Crowds: Gradual thinning as summer winds down.
- Crowds: Reduced, as schools are back in session.
- Events: Halloween Time begins, introducing pumpkins, villains, and the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay at the Haunted Mansion.
- Crowds: Busy around Halloween weekend; aim for other times for fewer crowds.
- Events: Halloween Time continues its spooky celebrations.
- Crowds: Quieter, with a significant uptick during Thanksgiving week.
- Events: The holiday season commences, transforming Disneyland with festive splendor.
- Crowds: The most crowded month, especially the latter half.
- Events: Holiday magic is everywhere – Sleeping Beauty’s Castle dons a snowy facade while carolers, parades, and special treats enhance the festive atmosphere.
FAQs: Disneyland Crowd Levels and Timing
Q: What are the best months and seasons to visit Disneyland?
Our top recommendations for optimal Disneyland experiences are September, October, and mid-January through March. These months strike a balance between pleasant weather and manageable crowds. In particular, September and October offer the warmth of summer without its peak visitor numbers. Meanwhile, the months after the holidays, until March, promise a cooler atmosphere with fewer guests.
Q: What are the least crowded days of the week at Disneyland?
A: Weekdays, especially Tuesdays and Wednesdays, tend to be less crowded than weekends at Disneyland. Visiting on a Tuesday or Wednesday will likely mean shorter lines and wait times.
Q: What’s the best time of day to avoid crowds?
A: The morning right at the park open typically has the lowest crowds. Arrive early to experience short lines before crowds build later.
Q: When is the slowest season for crowds?
A: The slowest season is generally January through March, after the holidays. September and early November also see lower attendance before Thanksgiving picks up.
Q: What if I can only visit during a peak crowded season?
A: Navigating peak seasons can be easier with the right strategy:
- Disney Genie: Use this tool to streamline your visit.
- Extra Magic Hour: If you’re staying at one of the Disneyland hotels, capitalize on this early entry benefit.
- Arrival Time: Aim to be at the park 60 minutes prior to its opening. This lets you clear security before the rush.
- Morning Plan: Identify and visit your top attractions right as the park opens.
- Genie+/Lightning Lanes: To avoid longer lines, use these premium options in the afternoon and evening.
- Late-Night Strategy: Stick around until the park closes, as ride lines often decrease later at night.
With careful planning, even the busiest days can be filled with magic!.
Q: When is the cheapest time to visit Disneyland?
A: The cheapest time of year to visit Disneyland is typically early January through early March. Hotel rates (including Disneyland hotels) are at their lowest following the holiday season. You can also find discounted park tickets and cheaper airfare during these months.
Q: What is the hottest month at Disneyland?
A: July and August are usually the hottest, with average highs around 85°F. For milder weather, plan a trip in spring or fall, when temperatures reach the 70s.
Q: When is the best time to visit Disneyland if I want to avoid the rain?
A: The wettest time of year in Anaheim is January and February, with Disneyland experiencing an average of five rainy days. To avoid rain, plan your visit in summer or early fall.