Tips to Improve Your Disney Cruise, By Age
In addition to age, you can optimize the magic through these tips:
For Infants Under 2:
- Request cribs or pack ‘n plays to use as sleeping and play spaces
- Bring compact strollers and baby carriers to navigate the ships
- Pack toys, books, and devices loaded with entertainment
- Utilize the nursery for breaks; book time slots ahead
For Ages 3 to 5:
- Visit characters early when wait times are the shortest
- Have costumes ready for themed events and parties
- Send kids to clubs so adults can enjoy couples’ time
- Bring familiar items like blankets or toys from home
- Stick to consistent bedtime routines
For Ages 6 to 9:
- Let kids get makeovers at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
- Ensure kids meet height requirements for thrill slides
- Check kids into clubs after meals so parents can linger
For Ages 10 to 12:
- Set meet-up times so kids can roam independently
- Book a surprise tween-friendly shore excursion
- Give kids cruise cash accounts for snacks and souvenirs
- Allow breaks in rooms between activities
- Let teens pick excursions they’re excited about
- Agree on return times for exploring ports together
- Provide cruise cash for treats and gifts
- Respect their independence but check in frequently
- Do a few bonding activities like games or movies
- Schedule alone time while kids are at clubs
- Indulge in upscale dining and entertainment
- Book spa treatments and specialty dining
- Join fun activities like trivia and karaoke
- Let go of rigid schedules and relax!
Frequently Asked Questions About Disney Cruises
What is the minimum age for the kids clubs on Disney cruises?
Kids must be potty trained and at least three years old for the Oceaneer Club. The tween clubs start at age 11.
Can infants go to kids clubs on a Disney cruise?
No, infants under three cannot utilize the kids’ clubs. The It’s a Small World nursery is available for babies 6-36 months old.
What is the minimum age for Disney cruise pools?
Children must be toilet trained to use the pools. Most pools require kids to be at least three years old. Children wearing swim diapers are limited to the separate splash zones.
What ages can go on shore excursions?
Most excursions allow kids three and up. However, certain activities like dolphin swims may require older ages like 5+.
What is the minimum age to stay in your stateroom alone?
Children under the age of 18 are not permitted to stay overnight in staterooms without an adult guardian.
Can 18-year-olds drink alcohol on a Disney cruise?
The minimum drinking age is 21 on Disney ships, however there are some special provisions in place for cruises which begin in locations where the drinking age is lower, such as Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. See our guide to alcohol on Disney cruises or Disney’s own drinking policy page for specific details.
Is there an adults-only area on Disney ships?
Yes, Disney Cruise ships provide adults-only areas, including exclusive lounges, the Quiet Cove Pool, upscale dining venues like Palo and Remy, a dedicated fitness center, spa & salon, and specialized adult-only port excursions. Guests aged 18 and older can enjoy these serene and sophisticated spaces away from family-centric activities.
What age do you need to be for Disney cruises without parents?
All minor guests under the age of 18 must cruise with an accompanying adult age 21 or older staying in the same stateroom.
What is the best Disney cruise ship for kids?
There are now five Disney Cruise ships: the Disney Dream, the Disney Fantasy, the Disney Wonder, the Disney Magic, and the Disney Wish. Even though it’s close, Disney Wish ranks as the best Disney cruise ship for kids (and the best Disney cruise ship overall) due to its extensive kid’s programs, exclusive features, and impressive amenities like the AquaMouse water ride.
What is the food like on Disney cruises for kids?
Kid-friendly options such as pizza, chicken tenders, mac and cheese, and other dishes are available each night, in addition to more sophisticated menu choices. For more information on the food offered on Disney cruises, please visit our pages on character dining, specialty dining, rotational dining, and tipping recommendations.
What are the best itineraries for families?
Family-friendly Disney cruise itineraries include short 3-4 night cruises to the Bahamas and Caribbean. These voyages allow kids to enjoy Castaway Cay and themed events like Pirate Night. Additionally, certain Disney cruises offer special themes like Marvel Day at Sea and Pixar Day at Sea. See Disney Cruise 2024 and 2025 itineraries for upcoming sailings.