2019 Disneyland Crowd Calendar
Deciding when to travel to Disneyland can be a challenge. Because theme park attendance can fluctuate greatly throughout the year, we have created a comprehensive Disneyland Crowd Calendar to help you plan your next Magical vacation.
With our Disneyland Crowd Calendar, you will be able to compare crowds at different times of year to determine the best period to visit Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure theme parks. Use this Disneyland Crowd Calendar to track crowds so you can avoid the long lines and get the most out of your vacation!
About Disneyland Resort
Disneyland Resort is usually referred to as simply “Disneyland.” The park opened in 1955 under the direct supervision of Walt Disney, 16 years prior to the opening of Disney World. The resort was the first Disney’s theme park location and the only one opened while Walt Disney was still alive.
What are Crowd Calendars?
Crowd calendars predict how many people will be at a theme park on any given day throughout the year. Since most people would rather avoid the crowds and long wait times for attractions (obviously), a crowd calendar can help you narrow down your vacation periods to the times of the year when the park is less crowded and more manageable.
In order to formulate this data, we compile attendance from recent years to help us determine which days will have the shortest and longest lines at Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure.
When is Disneyland Most Crowded?
Disneyland is the second most visited theme park in the world (18 million visitors per year compared to Disney World’s roughly 53 million). Therefore, don’t expect that you will have the park to yourself at any given time of the year. But if long lines are a major concern, then there are some less busy time periods you should aim for.
Disneyland’s less crowded times are:
- Early January through the mid-February
- The day after President’s Day (February) until Spring Break (mid-March)
- The middle of April until Memorial Day Weekend (late May)
- After Labor Day through the beginning of October
- The second week of November (after Halloween and before Thanksgiving Week)
- Weekdays are less crowded than weekends, especially Monday-Thursdays.
- On weekends, Sundays are usually less crowded than Saturdays. Regular weekends tend to be less crowded than holiday weekends.
When is Walt Disney World Most Crowded?
Disneyland is typically most crowded around holidays, weekends, or really just about any time schools are out of session. Here are some of the time periods to avoid, if possible:
- Any school holidays weeks (February Vacation, Spring Break, Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Years).
- Weekends, especially around holiday weeks and three-day holiday weekends (MLK Day (3rd Monday of January), Presidents Day (3rd Monday of February), Memorial Day (last Monday of May), July 4th, Labor Day (1st Monday of September), and Columbus Day (2nd Monday of October).
- Disneyland is busy right after Annual Passholder blackout dates end. Check Disneyland’s website for blackout dates.
So, When Should you visit Disneyland?
There isn’t really a right or wrong time to go. The best time to plan a visit to Disneyland Resort really depends upon your own set of interests. If visiting when crowds are expected to be lower is a major factor, then plan to your trip mid-week (Tuesdays through Thursdays) during off-peak periods when lines will be shorter:
- mid-January through mid-March
- mid-April through mid-May
- mid-September through mid-November
The disadvantages of going during the off-season are 1. some of the nighttime entertainment may be scheduled for weekends (and not during the mid-week), 2. certain rides may be shut down for maintenance, 3. the park hours are usually shorter during off-peak times and longer during the summer and other peak times, and 4. there are fewer events, fireworks, shows, and parades during the slow season.
The most crowded periods aren’t always the “worst” times to visit Disneyland Resort. Disneyland’s two theme parks do tend to be more crowded during the summer months (June, July, August). However, the parks extend their hours every day from late-May until early September. You can also expect the theme park to operate with longer hours during holiday periods and school breaks, as well as host more shows, parades, and fireworks. So there is plenty of trade-offs to consider and when you should visit Disneyland. depends on your priorities.
Check the Park Hours section for a list of hours, events, entertainment, and refurbishments.
Disneyland benefits from Anaheim, California’s warm and relatively dry climate. The city averages just 14 inches of rain per year compared to the US average is 39 inches. Here is a chart of what you can expect for weather at Disneyland.
Month High / Low (°F) Rain
Disneyland Dining Reservations
Disneyland’s FastPass is a free service that allows you to make a reservation for a specific attraction. You get to bypass the regular line and breeze on the ride with little to no wait time. FASTPASS machines are located throughout the park.
Disneyland MaxPass is a premium service that allows you to make FASTPASS reservations from the convenience of your smartphone. MaxPass costs $10 and it includes PhotoPass benefits.
You can learn more about Disneyland’s FastPass system here.