Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Card Game
Disney’s Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Map, Rules, Locations, and Tips
photo credit: zannaland
Are you looking for a fun and unique way to explore Disney’s Magic Kingdom that doesn’t involve any rides and attractions? If so, look no further than the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom scavenger hunt. This interactive card game is free to play with park admission and fun for the entire family.
So what is the Sorcerers of Magic Kingdom card game and how is it played at Disney World? Continue reading we will show you everything you need to know.
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom may sound confusing at first blush, but its actually quite easy to understand once you start playing. Let’s start will the backstory of the card game.
The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is an interactive scavenger hunt that takes place in…you guessed it…Disney’s Magic Kingdom theme park. Hades, the Greek god of the Underworld, is attempting to overtake Magic Kingdom by retrieving 4 missing shards to reassemble Merlin’s Crystal. His evil henchmen include Yzma, Cruella, Jafar, Scar, Ursula, Ratcliffe, and Dr. Facilier.
The idea of the game is this: Merlin is attempting to stop Hades and his cohorts from gaining control of the park. And that’s where you come in.
Merlin is recruiting guests within the park to be his apprentices. As Merlin’s apprentice, it’s your job to help him attack these Disney villains throughout the park and, ultimately, help to thwart Hades from gaining control.
You will be tasked with battling each of the villains first. Then, in order to win the game, you will go toe-to-toe will Hades in the final battle. If you are successful, you will save Magic Kingdom from these forces of evil.
The battle takes place at various “portals” throughout Magic Kingdom’s lands. Tomorrowland is the only land were no battle will take place.
SOTMK Recruitment Center – photo credit: zannaland
What you should know before playing Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
- Players will receive a pack of spell cards (one per day) as they register
- Players also will receive a map and Sorcerer Key Card
- Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is free to play with a valid Magic Kingdom theme park admission ticket
- Each mission will last approximately 20 to 30 minutes and 5 hours in total. This may be longer depending on the difficulty of the mission or the crowds.
How do you play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom?
- New recruits should first head over to the Firehouse on Main Street, USA. Here you will sign up to play and then receive your spell cards, Merlin’s mystical map, and Sorcerer Key Card (a master key to the game).
- Players will receive a pack of 5 spell cards for gameplay. You will need these cards to first battle the Hades’ henchmen, and then to battle Hades himself!
- The map will serve as a guide to help you navigate your way around the “battlefield” as you play. Merlin’s map has clues to help you locate the 20 Magic Portal around the park. See our Disney World Map page to get an idea of how Magic Kingdom is laid out.
- Your Sorcerer Key Card is embedded with a chip that will activate the screen portals and track your progress throughout the game. This Key Card will allow you to pick up your game if you wish to continue the next day or even months after you stop playing. Do not misplace or discard your Key Card because you will have to start over from scratch if you do.
Castle Couture portal – photo credit: zannaland
Ready, Set, Play
In order to play the game. Merlin opens up “Magic Portal” areas so that you can fight the villains and interact with the characters. The map shows where each of these portals is located (see the maps below).
First, look for the sorcerer’s crest on the ground, then locate the nearby keyhole. Tap your Key Card at the keyhole and this should open the Magic Portal to begin the game.
You will need to go to 4 or 5 portals in order to defeat a villain. In some portals, you will face the villain or their henchmen, while other portals will require the use of spell cards. Do not fret – Merlin will let you know when to use your spell card.
Once you have defeated a villain, you will then receive instructions as to which portal to go to next. After you have defeated all the villains, you are now ready to confront Hades in the final battle. Defeat Hades and you win the game and save Magic Kingdom from the forces of evil!
Here are Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom maps of each land. As we previously stated, Tomorrowland is the only land where the game is not played.
Spell Cards – photo credit: zannaland
Here are a few things you should know about Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom playing cards:
- There are 70 different spell cards in total. Collecting all 70 cards will not only maximize your ability to cast spells, but its a lot of fun to try to collect all of the different cards.
- Among the spell cards, there are 7 ways of attacking and 9 different classes of spells.
- As far as cards go, 1-22 are the rare star cards, 23-40 are the common crescent moon cards, and 41-60 are the most common planet cards. The rarest cards are numbered 61-70, the lightning cards.
- Spells can be cast with a single card at a time, but you can also use a combination of cards to have an even greater impact against your enemy. You can actually combine up to 7 cards together at once to attack your opponent.
photo credit: zannaland
SOTMK Game Tips
- Every guest who has a valid park admission ticket is entitled to receive one pack of cards for each day they are at Magic Kingdom. So even if someone in your group is not playing, they are still eligible to receive a complimentary pack of cards and they can then hand them off to someone who is playing (or save them as a Disney World souvenir).
- While most people sign-up to play SOTMK at the Main Street Firehouse location, guests can also register at an outpost behind the Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe. This area is typically less crowded but – be advised – there are no practice portals here. We recommend checking in at the Main Street Firehouse if this is your first time playing.
- It takes roughly 20 to 30 minutes to defeat each villain and 5 hours to defeat Hades to complete the game. Additionally, there may be some additional waiting time at the portals, especially if the park is busy. SOTMK isn’t a good use of time if you want to spend most of the day at the attractions.
- Guests who beat Hades and complete the game are eligible to receive an extra set of cards upon completion. As you retrieve your new set of cards, the Cast Member will ask if you wish to remain at your current level of difficulty or move up to the next (more challenging) level. These different levels of difficulty keep the game challenging for guests of all skill-sets.
SOTMK Spell Card Tips
- Trading cards is another fun element of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. It’s a great way to meet and interact with other park guests. Players usually trade on a 1 for 1 basis within the same level of cards (for example, a star card for another star card). There are also Facebook groups dedicated to trading SOTMK cards so that may be something you want to look into.
- Disney puts out a “bonus” card for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party each year. Stop by the Firehouse and request one to add to your collection.